The ICSC Mission The Islamic Center of Southern California (ICSC) is an independent organization whose primary goal is the emergence of an American Muslim identity. Its purpose is to practice and share the values of Islam by providing religious, educational, and recreational facilities for members of the public. Today, the ICSC is one of the most active and leading Islamic centers in the Los Angeles area. The ICSC has been involved in interfaith dialogue with different religious groups including Christians and Jews to foster a better understanding between various ethnic groups.
The ICSC Sunday School is administered and governed by the ICSC Board of Directors. The ICSC Sunday School (ICSCSS) consists of a Principal, a Lead Teacher, and Teachers whose true passion is instruction. In small classes, our teachers engage students as good Muslims and guide their learning experience through Islamic perspectives. ICSCSS is seeking an enthusiastic teacher who is committed to teaching and learning in an Islamic environment. ICSC expects teachers to be professionally competent, have strong leadership qualities, participate in professional development activities, and to engage in institutional and departmental services. Computer proficiency is preferred. Applicants should be current and skilled in their use of evolving technologies, active in promoting critical thinking, and committed to challenging our students to be knowledgeable, ethical, and capable global Muslim citizens.
Qualifications and Experience:
• A bachelor’s degree in any related field from a recognized university or a minimum of two years of classroom teaching experience (within the past 3-4 years) are required.
• At least two years of Islamic school experience and a demonstrated proficiency in Islamic History and Islamic Studies.
• For Qur’an/Arabic classes, teachers must have proficient knowledge in tajweed
(certification in Tajweed or Nuraniah is preferred). • Operational knowledge of the Internet and web-related technologies.
• Well versed in Qur’an and Islamic knowledge.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
This job requires a high level of patience as well as compassion, knowledge, and dedication. Experience teaching in schools or an equivalent curriculum is a plus.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Construction of a course syllabus consistent with generic course syllabi that stipulates course objectives, content, and grading criteria.
• Preparation of course presentations and instructional materials for classroom instructions.
• Delivery of instruction including being prepared for and meeting courses at scheduled times.
• Maintenance of clear records on student performance as well as any other factors such as attendance involved with the grading of students.
• Compliance ICSCSS policies and procedures including but not limited to submission of midterm and final grades, keeping office, and decisions regarding instructional matters such as texts, assignments, and grading standards.
• Participation and compliance with decisions regarding instructional matters such as texts, assignments, and grading standards.
• Participation in ICSCSS institutional assessments of student learning.
• Participation in ICSCSS wide activities as assigned by the Principal and Lead Teacher.
• Compliance with ICSC policies and procedures.
The ICSC encourages applications from teacher candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of the Sunday school’s student body and the ICSC community, who will enhance and promote engagement with others and have a demonstrated commitment to working with and as part of a student body of the ICSC community. The ICSC also requires teachers to participate in professional development activities and to engage in Sunday School services.
The academic calendar consists of 34 working Sundays where the hiring range for Sunday School faculty is based on a 9 month with no overload contract. The salary for the 2019-2020 academic year depends on the experience. A candidate may choose to apply for this position as a volunteer, but he/she will be subjected to the same standards and performance that are applicable to the paid faculty member. On-campus screening interviews will be held during November 2019 and will be conducted by the search committee with selected applicants. The faculty member appointed to the position will begin employment immediately once done with the hiring process and a background check.
Interested individuals must send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, as well as a list of two (2) references with contact information, which will be provided upon request.