The Quran teaches that life is a test in preparation for the hereafter. The Islamic funeral is considered a final service and an act of respect for our loved ones. It is also a time to ponder our own brief existence here on earth. The Islamic Center is committed to providing religious services and guidance to all Muslims in performing the religious duties of an Islamic funeral.
As a licensed funeral home, we offer a full range of services, including:
- Islamic burial preparation in an onsite mortuary facility
- Burial plot in the Islamic cemetery section at Rose Hills Memorial Park in Whittier, California
- Janaza (funeral) prayer at the gravesite
- Transportation for out-of-state or overseas burial
At the Islamic Center, we understand that losing a loved one is a time of grief, with many arrangements to consider. In order to make the process as easy as possible, we are prepared to assist you with all of your burial needs from start to finish, including:
- Transportation of the deceased from the place of death to the Burial Preparation Room at ICSC
- Arrangements for obtaining death certificate and burial permit *
- Maintenance of the deceased overnight at ICSC, if necessary
- Specially trained volunteers to perform ghusl (Islamic burial washing)
- Transportation of the deceased from ICSC to the Islamic cemetery section at Rose Hills or any other cemetery for burial
- Janaza (funeral) prayer at the grave site led by an ICSC representative
- During weekdays, burial can be performed in about 48 hours, provided that all documentation is completed before noon
- Weekend burials can also be arranged, as needed
* Please Note: It is very important for the deceased’s relatives to obtain the attending physician’s signature on the death certificate as soon as possible following the death.
Islamic Tradition of Mourning
It is recommended that you offer dua’a (supplication) on behalf of the deceased before burial. You are also encouraged to place a few handfuls of soil over the casket at time of burial. According to the tradition of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), the official mourning period is three days.
Out of respect, the head stone slab on the grave will not be inscribed with Quranic verses to avoid having them be stepped on.
The following are outside of Islamic tradition:
- Wailing and excessive emotional display
- Displaying the deceased in an open coffin
- Burying in an ornate casket
- Placing objects in the casket with the deceased
24-Hour Phone Line
If you need to report a death or inquire about our funeral services, please call our 24-Hour Funeral Phone Line at 213.447.2002